Growing up today is hard.
And unfortunately, for many kids and teens, it’s not getting any easier.
Many Iowa families struggle with crises on two fronts – access to affordable, quality childcare and adolescent mental health.
The number of young people that experience mental health challenges, including depression, self-harm, and suicide, continues to rise. The COVID-19 pandemic has only heightened these crises, and the communities we serve struggle to catch up. Currently, thousands of families across the state cannot access supportive, enriching childcare or summer experiences because they are too expensive or simply at capacity.
For more than 100 years, Camp Fire has partnered with parents and families to support the healthy development of all children and teens when they are out of school. This holiday season, we have set an urgent goal to raise $35,000 by January 1, so we can provide new and expanded services to families in need in 2023, but we’ll need your help to make it happen!
Serving more than 1,000 unique youth every year, at Camp Fire, we know how to make every dollar count. Your donation, no matter the size, will accomplish a lot…
Your gift will help make childcare and summer camp more accessible to central Iowa families by:
- Providing financial assistance to historically underserved communities, including BIPOC, LGBT+, and rural residents – helping make our programs even more inclusive and welcoming for all youth.
- Supporting seasonal staff wage increases so we can recruit diverse and supportive role models and increase the number of spots available without sacrificing program quality
- Improving our facilities so they can accommodate more campers all year-round
- Launching new programs in central Iowa, including before- and after-school care, weekend and family programs, and, of course, new summer experiences!
Your gift will also help us support the mental health of our youth by:
- Providing mental health first aid training for all staff – professional and seasonal
- Growing the number of Inclusion Specialists on our summer team to provide one-on-one support to campers experiencing mental health challenges
- Supporting the implementation of more inclusive policies and practices across all sites and programs
Your gift will do all this and more. Your gift will ensure more kids and teens grow up in safe, welcoming, and joyful spaces.
Making a gift online is easy and convenient. You can choose to make a one-time gift or set up a recurring gift through our easy-to-use online platform.
Make a gift by mail
Send your gift by check, made payable to:
Camp Fire Heart of Iowa
5615 Hickman Road
Des Moines, IA 50310
Make a gift by phone
If you’d prefer to make a gift by phone, please call 515.274.1501.
Legacy gifts made through a will, trust, life insurance, annuity, or other financial planning vehicle allow donors the opportunity to make a meaningful gift with a lasting impact that will support Camp Fire for many generations to come.
If you have questions about your donation or our programs, please get in touch with us!